NERFU Executive Director of 7s to Head Northeast 7s Academy
Our very own Executive Director of 7s, John McGeachy, has been appointed Executive Director of the Northeast Academy after current Executive Director and founding partner, Sean Horan, announced his retirement late last year.
As the designated USA Rugby National pathway organization for the Northeast region, the Academy’s primary focus is development, with the ultimate goal to augment player skills and increase the level of play within the Unions. With practice locations in New York, Boston and Buffalo, the Academy works with players at the youth, college and club levels. Any player invited to participate with the Academy is required to compete with a local club and it is the Academy's expectation that they share their learning in hopes to raise the level of local competition.
The Northeast Academy is also evolving to better serve the New England and Empire Geographic Unions by expanding into broader enrichment opportunities for both players and coaches alike at the youth, college and club level. Several of these opportunities began in 2016 and included:
- a mentorship program that saw coaches, referees and administrators, shadow the Academy staff throughout their eight week long summer practice sessions
- four High School skills camps, delivered during the fall in the Boston area that saw a participation of ~50 athletes from ~15 schools
- the hosting of the national Level-300 coaching certification in which ~10 coaches from the region participated.
For 2017, additional opportunities the Academy is planning include:
- delivering skills camps and coaching seminars in partnership with local clubs with hopes to be the preferred vendor of choice in the region
- sponsoring a HS/College 7s event in an attempt to connect senior clubs with the younger players to better enable recruitment
- developing a “Tight Five Academy” to up skill players more focused on 15s forward play.
Please join us in congratulating John in his new role. Union membership will be able to meet with John and hear a 7s progress report from this weekend at NERFU's AGM in Worcester, MA.
The Northeast Academy's full press-release can be downloaded here: