Men's Division 3 Play-offs Take Center Stage

Men's Division 3 Play-offs Take Center Stage

November 11, 2013


Men's Division 3 Play-offs took center-stage in New England this weekend. As the top four clubs after league play faced off. Both matches were hard-fought and showcased great rugby. Maccabi fell victim to a Seacoast comeback and New London County needed overtime to get their victory. NLC and Seacoast will face off next weekend to see who will become the Division 3 champions.
The New England Rugby Referee's Society posted the following match reports from both semi-finals:

Maccabi 18-19 Seacoast
Referee: Declan Boland
What a great game and a pleasure to ref. This was a semi final where both teams had played each other already this season and knew what to expect. Where the home took what was a commanding lead but allowed it to slip away to the visitors. This game was well fought by both sides and as you can see from the score, either team could have won.

New London County 29-26 MIT
Referee: David Fischer
New London's reserve fly half slotted a tough penalty with no time left in overtime to prevail in a back and forth and tightly contested playoff match.
MIT went on the board first with a converted try at 12'. New London answered back with two tries in 6 minutes from their #14 and #15 to take a 14-7 lead into half time. The MIT #10 dummied and ran through the line to bring it to 14-12, where it stayed till late in the game.
At 70' MIT took a five point lead with a converted try from their very active #6. New London answered back in injury time with a try in the corner but the long kick was missed, leaving it knotted.
OT was a furious back and forth affair. New London took a 7-point lead with 3 minutes left on a try from their #9. MIT stormed back and after knocking on the door repeatedly banged in a try in OT injury time from their giant reserve #1. Unfortunately the scoring player took offense at one of the defenders attempts to stop him and threw him into the ground and was ejected. MIT #10 slotted a very difficult kick to tie it up.
This meant that rather than kicking off to MIT, New London had a penalty midfield. The kicked to touch near the MIT 22, and than after multiple phases MIT took a penalty leading to the winning kick.
The match was very hard fought with lots of tactical kicking, fierce running and tackling in the forwards, and excitement out wide from both sides. Rugby at its best.